International Lefthanders Day was created to celebrate *sinistrality ( *the quality or state of having the left side or one or more of its parts, as the hand or eye, different from and usually more efficient than the right or its corresponding parts also : left-handedness) and raise awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed in a predominantly right-handed world.
It celebrates left-handed people’s uniqueness and differences, a subset of humanity comprising seven to ten percent of the world’s population. The day also spreads awareness on issues faced by left-handers, e.g. the importance of the special needs for left-handed children.
- Artists. Leonardo Da Vinci and Paul Klee
- Actors. Amitabh & Abhishek Bachchan and. Drew Barrymore.
- Writers. Lewis Carroll and Bill Bryson.
- Animation. Matt Groening, The Simpsons.
- Comedy. Harpo Marx.
- Fashion. Jean-Paul Gaultier.
- Directors. James Cameron. and Spike Lee.
- Music. Benjamin Britten and David Bowie.
- Advocates. Andy Cole- Advocacy Matters